|Project by camps764||posted 06-23-2014 03:12 AM||393 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Although I’ve done a few wall art pieces recently, this was my first time distressing and antiquing new wood. All of the previous projects used wood that was already pretty weathered.
The frame is made out of pine scraps that I had laying around the shop. After gluing up the miters, I beat the heck out of it with an old chisel, some keys, a mallet, whatever was laying around. After that I rubbed a coat of Minwax early American stain in and let it dry over night. Following that I painted on a real messy layer of white latex paint. Then I sanded the heck out of it wherever I I wanted the stain or raw wood to show through. I beat on it some more, gouged it some more, until it looked old and beat up. I finished the frame by rubbing some dark walnut danish oil on to fill in some of the raw wood and make the white paint look dirty
The “canvas” was two old pieces of hard board that came off a dresser I picked up for free off a neighbor’s curb a few months back. The dresser is long since gone, so these pieces have been hanging around waiting for a project. All of the stains, paint, and the black number in the corner were on them when I pulled them off the dresser.
The anchor was hand painted. I designed it in photoshop, printed the outline off, taped it to the “canvas” and traced it with a ball point pen to leave indents in the wood. Then I used black acrylic paint to trace the lines, filled everything in with white acrylic. I left the rope the natural wood grain color. Once the acrylic dried I scuff sanded the picture with 180 to wear it down and get the picture to match the frame.
-- Steve. Visit my website http://www.campbellwoodworking.com