|Project by TZH||posted 06-22-2014 08:14 PM||1890 views||11 times favorited||10 comments|
Well, I’m still thinking I don’t like my photographer very much. Although – maybe if I used a better camera (these were taken with my cell phone), it might make a little difference.
On this wine rack I decided to get a little more “artsy” than I’ve done on these in the past. The original piece looked pretty drab:
It had a lot of cracking and checking, so I tried putting in butterflies to stabilize it:
And that’s about the time I decided this piece needed something more – more shape, that is. That meant more shaping with all the hand tools in my current arsenal:
Before, it was just too beefy for my taste. After, it looked more like a finished wine rack, and I’m pretty pleased with the results.
Finished with one coat of cabernet stain, two coats of shellac to seal it, and three coats of Minwax hand rubbed gloss poly. After it cures overnight, I’ll apply a coat or two of Trewax bees wax, and it’s done!
Thanks for looking.
-- Where The Spirit In Wood Lives On