|Project by JL7||posted 06-22-2014 03:42 PM||2661 views||38 times favorited||67 comments|
Here’s another one from the cutoff bin. It’s always a challenge to figure out what to do with those pesky little cutoffs….and they tend to pile up behind my bench…..I also have a big bin full of “extra” cutting board parts from old projects…..
So the rules here were no lumber from the stack, only the bin. But unlike the bin boards I’ve built in the past, I wanted to have some symmetry with this one. So the board is built from the center out…..it’s a ridicules number of glue-ups…
This is really the kind of project that should be done on the side…do a glue-up and then work on something else! I’ve been playing with the lathe in between which works well since the lathe doesn’t demand much workbench time and this board is a workbench hog…
The design was created one row at a time with no other plan….be it good or bad, right or wrong….
Some of the cutoff’s glued up:
Cut everything into 1-1/2” blocks and this is the first glue-up on the board itself:
Of course after each glueup, you gotta get everything back to square again using any means necessary, then glue some more…...you get it:
Tried something new for the handholds on this one. Built 2 identical MDF templates and used carpet tape to stick them to the TOP of the board, and then used a rub collar (or pin router type) setup on the router table to carve the radius-ed cutouts – here’s the before and after:
All the edges I could get to are eased with the chamfer bit on the router table.
Mineral oil finish.
Too many wood types to list.
Thanks for looking!
-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.