or Join Now!
Since someone inspired me from this website to build this, I figured I’d return the favor by documenting my project and sharing this design with everyone.
I will add more later as the project continues.
-- Dan, greater Seattle area
home | projects | blog
4 posts in 1020 days
Preview this project card
cedar board-on-board lattice 4x4 2x2 1x4 privacy fence custom 5 stringers rails
23552 posts in 1915 days
#1 posted 06-14-2014 08:11 AM
Welcome to Lumberjocks
-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.
7655 posts in 1584 days
#2 posted 06-14-2014 11:43 AM
Looks like you’ve got a good start there. When you’re done, you can come and build me one (the guy behind us has an auto mechanic shop in his back yard. Looks like a junk yard from our house)
Oh yeah, WELCOME to LJ’s!
-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward
#3 posted 06-16-2014 04:00 PM
Last week I struggled with the issue of hiding the pressure treated stringers since the pickets need a “frame” to attach to, and the 1×4 cedar fascia boards are the same size as the 2×4 stringers. I’m not worried about the bottom stringer, just the upper 2 stringers where the lattice resides.
Anyway, last night I should have been relaxing and enjoying the movie with my wife, but instead the idea came to me and I had to sketch it. Basically I’m going to take the 2×4 stringers and rip them in half (making a 2×2). I realize this degrades the concept of a stringer but hear me out. I will then have the 2×2’s running in parallel a foot apart, and will reinforce them by attaching cedar 2×2’s between them, creating the decorative lattice and also creating a sort of ladder structure that combines the stringers together for a solid brace (no future sagging).
This will allow the 1×4 cedar fascia boards to be attached with a lip on top and bottom – for the pickets and also a lip for the lattice and should look pretty awesome when complete. (installing the 2×4’s flat wouldn’t work because then by the time the cedar covers it the material will extend past the post and will not look good at all. And my goal is to not see the stringers at all, to make it look professional and not like a homeowner did it! Emphasis on GOAL!)
I will need to remove the 1st panel to do this properly but at least I’ve only done 1 so far! I plan to work on this more this coming weekend, so stay tuned!
#4 posted 06-17-2014 02:21 PM
Eureka! It worked! Weather was being nice last night so I fixed and finished the 1st panel. Should be a productive weekend if the weather holds up. I’ll update pictures soon!
Go to Pulse page »
©2017 Verticalscope Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
Terms of Service
DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.
Latest Projects |
Latest Blog Entries |
Latest Forum Topics