|Project by CueballRosendaul||posted 06-13-2014 05:03 PM||2365 views||6 times favorited||6 comments|
I made a box joint jig many years ago, but threw it in the burn bucket shortly thereafter because my joints contained more wood putty than actual wood. Because I needed to build some strong boxes with box-joints (the beehives I’m about to post next!), I made myself a quick and surprisingly accurate jig to make the cuts. It’s not easily adjustable except by giving the key an attitude adjustment or pulling it out and replacing it (held in with two brads) and is built for ¾” cuts. Like most of my projects, I didn’t use any plans or specific dimensions, just an idea and a pile of scrap lumber.
One important thing I learned is to label my outside blades for the stacked dado set. It’s not a really high dollar set, so the cuts aren’t perfect, but if you swap the outside blades, you can end up with a couple grooves in the middle of the joint instead of the corners where they’re harder to see and allow a nice spot for glue to squeeze out. When I was searching online for some information on dado sets, I found the last picture that set me straight.
-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.