|Project by mcshaker||posted 10-01-2008 08:15 PM||2691 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This is a 6-panel door I made for to fit the existing pocket leading to my bathroom.
It is made from 8/4 poplar resawn to the needed 1 1/4” for the stiles and rails. The panels were resawn from the same 8/4 lumber into three 3/8” pieces. Which were then book matched to make each panel 24” wide with vertical grain.
The joinery is dowel joints again. I was planing on doing my first mortise and tenons in this piece. But, I accidentally figured the rails to short in my drawings to cut in the tenons. So solution was dowels. but this time I bought a doweling jig and some centers, so a pretty smooth operation.
I dry fit the door without the panels and used my router to cut a chamfer around where each panel would go. Then, used my chisel to square out the rounded corners.
I did add a metal mending plate on the forward top and bottom joints since all the force will be applied the bad way to that joint when opening and closing door.
Finish was 3 coats poly mixed with mixol pigment for color. Plus a final clear coat of the poly. I was not as happy with the mixol in poly as I was with it in shellac. It seemed to not mix as well. And with the poly being clearer to start with than the shellac it didn’t seem to build up color as quickly.
Hanging it was just the bear I thought it was going to be and I did scratch the finsh pretty bad and had to make some repairs. Sorry I didn’t take some photos before hanging but I was too excited about having a real door on my john. :)