|Project by ADHDan||posted 06-11-2014 02:03 PM||1712 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
I finally finished completely renovating my family room. The project included drywalling, re-trimming base/ceiling/windows, building a full set of fireplace surround built-ins, and painting everything. It took about two months mostly working for a few hours in the evening after work. The “before” picture shows the contrast – previously, the room was just v-groove paneling and a plain fireplace with floor-to-ceiling chimney brick.
Some things of note:
—The built-ins and ceiling molding hide all sorts of wires for eventually installing a nice stereo/surround sound system. I pre-strung hidden power, a/v, etc. cables from the left base cabinet into the hollow mantel, and I ran speaker wire to the tops of the bookcases and behind the ceiling molding with drops for wall-mounted surround speakers.
—The inset doors were a pain but I got a nice tip on how to trim them to fit the cabinet frame: for each side that needs to be shaved at an angle, tape a washer to the opposite side and run it through the table saw. The washer kicks out the opposite side so you can shave about 1/32” at a time.
—I opted to put 1/4” drywall over the original wood paneling for a few reasons: I didn’t need to get a permit, I didn’t need to worry about reframing doors (I did reframe the windows), 1/4” drywall is just a lot easier for one person to install, and I was less worried about hitting all studs because even an off screw would still fasten to the paneling.
—Airless paint sprayers are fun to use but horrible to clean up.
-- Dan in Minneapolis, woodworking since 11/11.