|Project by oldstarter||posted 06-07-2014 01:30 PM||1271 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
My brother gave me a couple of bits of timber that were glued together each piece being about a foot long and three and a half inches across. He’s into wood turning and as he had made my wife and I a couple of things that he had turned, I thought I’d make him something. The pieces he gave me where Yew, his favourite wood. so I seperated them and split the top piece in two, the pattern that emerged was strong, but not really outstanding so I split the lower piece this was better, but I could see by the edge that there could be something more interesting in there. Now I was down to half and inch thick and as my saw bench is not good I wasn’t sure if I could manage to split it again, but anyway I did, all be it that one piece was just over three sixteenths and the other just under, which meant when I brought them to the same size I had lost the match a bit, but still a great grain had emerged. I couldn’t think what to do with them at first but decided that I’d have a go at another clock but with no plans this time just made it up as I went along. The front of the clock was grooved and rebated where as the back two cross pieces I dovetailed to give more strength, I meant to take some photos showing the joints but I got carried away and before I knew it it was all glued up.
-- Oldstarter (Dave Ashby)