|Project by InsideTheBox||posted 06-04-2014 02:18 AM||1331 views||4 times favorited||12 comments|
My niece and her husband just had a baby. They didn’t want to know the gender ahead of time and wanted to keep everything non-gender specific. Their colors were oranges, purples and greens, and their “motif” (you HAVE to have a motif!) was teddy bears.
Because my dog keeps escaping from the back yard, I am constantly buying new redwood pickets to keep him in. I cut one foot off the bottom of every picket, so I have a batch of one-foot redwood slabs. I tend to feel guilty wasting anything, so I sanded the pieces, glued four or five of them together, and experimented.
I love the wonky boxes posted on LJ, especially with the attitudes!, but I had to keep it generic, so I decided to give it personality via the front buttons.
Photo 3—Their last name is Lane. Thought they might like this personal touch.
Photo 4—I KNOW I’ve seen teddy bear buttons somewhere, but couldn’t find them anywhere so I made these. Used a tiny dowel sliced on the bandsaw, and hand sanded each little ear until my fingers were exhausted (from constantly dropping them, ouchh), a larger dowel for the head, and a walnut pen blank which I sanded down into a sort of dowel, rounded off and sliced one bear nose at a time. I stained them each so they wouldn’t look like polar bears… Glue-up was ridiculous but my Tite-Bond2 held until they set. I thought I must be crazy the whole time, until I saw the final product, and I think it worked! I hope they like it -
-- There's no such thing as a mistake; only a quick change of plans.