|Project by JLYoung||posted 2121 days ago||3146 views||7 times favorited||10 comments|
I just finished this joiner’s mallet which is loosely based on an article in shopnotes magazine. I tend to prefer the look of a traditional cabinetmaker’s mallet so I made a hybrid of the two designs. The head is laminated from Bird’s eye Maple and Jatoba. The handle is ash and the wedges are walnut. I didn’t add the lead into the head because I felt the added size of the head made up for the weight. I finished the mallet with BLO and will likely “finish the finish” with some paste wax. I added leather to the face of the mallet to reduce the risk of denting my furniture pieces and to deaden the blow to my chisels. The leather is adhered to the face using contact cement.