|Project by cgm_md||posted 05-30-2014 11:57 PM||1339 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
All wood for this project was obtained from the scrap pile. QSWO for outer layer, maple for lift and splines, red cedar for inner lining (I know, I know, it’s not Spanish cedar. But again, I was using scraps!). Originally, I was going to make it rectangular , but I didn’t quite have enough lumber so I went with square. I’m glad I did as I think it really is the perfect size (7.25” x 7.25” inner and 9.25” x 9.25” outisde). The bottom and top panels are 1/2” plywood.
Finished with one coat of BLO, then sprayed semi-gloss n/c lacquer. Left the cedar unfinished. Still need to install the stop hinges. I have them somewhere, just need to find them (I already cut the mortises based on the dimensions from previous use of the same hinges).
First time attempting splined miters. Unfortunately, with the finish I choose, the maple doesn’t show up quite as well as I would have hoped. I guess because they are basically end grain.
QSWO’s rays don’t pop quite as much as maple’s curls… Maybe I’ll have to try fuming next time (although fuming a humidor didn’t really seem like a good idea).
I am not planning on installing a hygrometer, basically because there isn’t enough room and I don’t want to spend the money on a good one. I will be using these for humidification: http://goo.gl/ToBlk3.
Overall, I’m very pleased with how it turned out. I would tweak the finish a little for next time. Thanks for looking!