|Project by mcshaker||posted 09-30-2008 12:45 AM||2691 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
My workbench top was attached to a desk. It has been awful. Even when the second desk was backed up to it (Just recently removed it) It still wobbled fiercely, was too short, and blocked the full function of the face vice (I’ve been having to use 3/4” shims to hold thin pieces).
I built the base using the threaded rod method from the book “Making Workbenches” by Sam Allen. I’ve seen it several other places. But, I had the book checked out from the library (best resource EVER!) So, he gets credit.
I used scrap pine 2×4 glued and screwed to make 4×4 for the legs, and scrap 2×6 for end rails. Long front rails were fresh 2×6 from box store. I ended up using (6) 6’ threaded rods
I am happy with the result of this project because the workbench is now dead solid, and refuses to rack or wobble. I can clamp to all 4 sides of bench. (No lip on 2 sides of desk base.) Plus, a fully functional vice is awesome.
However, I’m not so pleased with the execution. I tried to get away with measuring the dowel locations on each piece and I did a pretty sloppy job of it. So, I had to trim the Dowels down heavily to correct their mislocations. And the Rails are kind of tilted, so some heavy planing to square up the rails to the top.
No finish no sanding. It’s a bench and the top is beat up. Next model will probably be solid hard Maple and kept nice. But, trust me this is a 100% improvement to my shop. All the tools in the photo are what used to be stored in the desk, I’ve got to find them new homes now.