|Project by TimBridge||posted 05-29-2014 06:56 AM||2386 views||4 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my Morris Chair.
It is made from pine that I got for free from a friend of a friend’s old bookshelf. When I got the wood some of it was badly warped, there were a few screw holes in a bunch of places that I had to plug, and it was discolored from years of use so I pre-sanded everything with 80 grit. Beggars can’t be choosers!
The identifying aspects of a Morris Chair are relatively high armrests, a wide seat, and, most importantly, a reclining backrest with variable positions set by a “support bar”.
I ran into quite a few issues along the way but I had a great time figuring out how to handle them. This was also the first project that I finished with something other than mineral oil or spray lacquer. I learned how truly important and difficult a good finish is to implement.
I have blogged the entire soup-to-nuts process for this project. You can find the first entry of that blog series here: http://lumberjocks.com/TimBridge/blog/41182
The blog will take you through the plans I used, all my mistakes, successes, questions, answers, decisions, and rationales for those decisions.
For more and/or better quality build pics than I posted here or in the blog entries, you can check this album: http://imgur.com/a/xijV3
For more and/or better quality “completed” pics than I posted here or in the blog entries, you can check this album: http://imgur.com/a/xVgIG
Thanks for reading. I’d be happy to answer any any all questions anyone might have. Just post them either here or in one of the blog entries!
-- Tim Bridge, Northern NJ,"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." Pete Seeger