|Project by wseand||posted 84 days ago||855 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
I am not sure of the age or style of this table, all I know it was in bad shape. The finish on the top was cracked and had several stains including wax damage.
I really just took it all apart and striped and sanded to bare wood. I used a chemical stripper because the finish was gumming up the paper and the laminate was thin. I didn’t want to sand down past the laminate.
I spent many hour sanding and stripping this table but it was well worth the time for how smooth it came out. I knew I was going with a Gloss Poly so I needed it smooth as I could get it. I went down to 320 grit which came out plenty smooth.
I went with Red Mahogany stain because the customer liked it best and it had red in it. I had a bit of a problem with matching all the different wood types but with a little work it came out pretty good. I got some great advise from @JAAune and I did what I could to match it up. I put four coats of Gloss Poly on it put it back together and back to the customer. All in all it came out good and the customer was happy.
I am finding out these kind of projects take a lot of time and I don’t think I would ever get back in Dollars what I put in time. But it is well worth the outcome and I don’t worry about the lost time. I would say I put 30 hours in it but I am getting faster and I would never charge the customer for my short comings. I charged a flat fee for this project because I didn’t know how long it would take but I knew what I wanted to make out of it.
Anyways, sorry for the long story.
Thanks for looking,
-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy