|Project by Kenyon94||posted 05-26-2014 04:16 PM||1378 views||20 times favorited||1 comment|
I used 3/4 walnut and maple, ripped them and glued them up as two sets, then cross-cut them into three of each combination. I used the table saw at a 45 degree angle to make the chamfers – I don’t have a router table yet and I’m just not comfortable enough going free-hand with a router. Sanded to 220 grit and finished them with three coats of wipe-on-poly and then finishing wax, I was really happy with how the finish turned out.
I used rare earth magnets for the back, forstner bits to make the holes and epoxy to glue them in place. I originally tried to just go with one on top and one on the bottom to hold them to the fridge or grill, but after installing the heavy opener, the two small magnets (1/2in dia x 1/8in thick) weren’t strong enough to keep the thing from sliding down the fridge. So I went overboard and put four more small ones into the corners just to be safe. In the future, I’ll be sure to leave all the magnets a little proud of the surface to maximize holding strength.
It’s Memorial Day, so it’s time to put these babies to use and toast the men and women who have served our country. To all LJ’s who have spent time in the armed forces – THANK YOU for your service!