LumberJocks

Simple Drill Press Table

  • Advertise with us
Project by TheWoodenOyster posted 05-25-2014 01:45 PM 4260 views 35 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hey everyone,

So I have made a habit of trying to build a jig or fixture to accompany every project/commission that I do. I figure this way, I can slowly build up my arsenal with jigs that I need and will make use of. The current commission in my shop is going to require some very precise hole drilling, so I figured this might be the perfect time to build that drill press table that I have wished I had so many times before, so off I went.

Some drill press tables out there get pretty wacky, but I was trying to keep this relatively simple and base it off of stumpynubs’ simpler version of a drill press table. It is basically a box made of 1/2” birch ply (first time to work with it and I enjoyed it a lot) and walnut joists, for lack of a better term. The top is double layer ply, so it totals 1” thick. It came out perfectly square to the chuck, so no shimming or adjusting necessary. There is a space between the top layer and bottom layer about 2 1/2” where I will keep my drill bits. The bottom layer is just 1/2 ply with a notch in the back to allow for the crank to move the table up and down (see picture 3). There are two 3/4” t-tracks to hold both clamps and a fence. The fence is just a jointed piece of cherry about 1 1/2” thick by 2 1/2” tall. It all works smoothly and was simple and not stressful to make (unlike crosscut sleds). Took about 6 hours in all. I will be using this thing for a long time.

Hope you enjoy!!!

Go make some sawdust!!!

-- The Wood Is Your Oyster





9 comments so far

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

16043 posts in 1621 days


#1 posted 05-25-2014 02:35 PM

It will be a nice addition to your shop. Well done.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View Mark's profile

Mark

500 posts in 729 days


#2 posted 05-25-2014 05:22 PM

Simple is usually the best. Very nice. I built one for my D/P. They’re great. Enjoy.

-- Mark

View MarkTheFiddler's profile

MarkTheFiddler

1907 posts in 943 days


#3 posted 05-25-2014 09:35 PM

I like simple. That top is good for 90%. You can always build a few jigs to set on that table for the other 10%. I kind of view it like this. The more things something does, the less good it does each thing.

Nice build!

-- Thanks for all the lessons!

View TheWoodenOyster's profile

TheWoodenOyster

1057 posts in 690 days


#4 posted 05-26-2014 12:38 AM

Thanks for the nice comments guys

-- The Wood Is Your Oyster

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

1768 posts in 1182 days


#5 posted 05-26-2014 02:04 AM

KISS works every time!!!

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View CalgaryGeoff's profile

CalgaryGeoff

937 posts in 1237 days


#6 posted 05-26-2014 05:42 AM

Brilliant in its simplicity. Great build and project. It’s perfect.

I added it as a favorite.

-- If you believe you can or can not do a thing, you are correct.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

1068 posts in 1548 days


#7 posted 05-26-2014 12:27 PM

Nice top. Like the handy storage. I think I’ll copy your idea.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View eldercop's profile

eldercop

23 posts in 263 days


#8 posted 05-26-2014 01:41 PM

but won’t through holes make a Swiss cheese of the new top?
Just askin’ cuz I’ve replace the insert I built into mine a number of times over the years.

-- "Experience is what you get the day after you needed it" Mark Twain

View TheWoodenOyster's profile

TheWoodenOyster

1057 posts in 690 days


#9 posted 05-26-2014 10:26 PM

Eldercop, I am planning one making a cut out for replaceable inserts at some point, but I’ll probably wait until I need it.

-- The Wood Is Your Oyster

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase