|Project by fatandy2003||posted 05-23-2014 12:40 PM||1242 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
Here is my pipe for the 2014 pipe swap. This was the first pipe I have made. Olive wood bowl, brass shank collar and vulcanite stem.
The wood was VERY green when I drilled it and did the initial shaping. Due to the time it takes to dry olive and its tendency to crack when it dries, I decided to use an interesting method to dry it in weeks instead of years – SCOTCH! I left it in a jar of 10 yr Laphroaig for 24hrs, then wrapped it in brown paper to let it dry for a week. The scotch pushes all the oil out of the wood and then dries relatively quickly. I did the final shaping once dry and started to fit the stem. Then…
CRACK! I was not being careful enough when fitting the stem and torqued the end of the bent stem splitting the end of the shank. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID! Felt like I was going to throw up, then got the shakes, then the cold sweats, PANIC! I was SO MANY hours into this pipe and only 3 days till picture turn in day!
So, it was off to Leroy Merlin (big box store in Italy) to find a fix… if there was one. There was! I found threaded brass pipe (for home repair not tobacco) that were just the right size. I cut down the shank a little, cut a tenon for the threaded brass, filed down the threads on the outside flush to the rest of the shank and epoxied the cracks. So while not as visually pleasing, the pipe is again functional.
Sanded to 2000 grit then 0000 steel wool. 3 coats of beeswax and buffed with a buffing wheel on my cordless drill (that was tricky…).
The box was made out of some scrap mahogany with a live edge piece of scrub oak (pallet wood) for a lift tab. Laquer finish.
I hope it smokes to your standards Jordan!
Added: Shape is a Bullmoose
-- -- Andy, “Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it” - Thomas Paine