|Project by dat||posted 05-18-2014 03:42 PM||3059 views||5 times favorited||5 comments|
My brother wanted me to help him build a wine rack so he could learn some woodworking skills (he had never built anything before). I wanted to improve upon the design I used last time to build mine, so I replaced the screws with walnut dowels which I bought online from Rockler. Definitely a learning curve with those as I kept splitting the boards while pounding the dowels and slats into place.
The frame is still joined with Kreg screws, and this one is a little sturdier since the 1.75” thick wood allowed for two screws to be used on the joints. The screw holes are filled with plugs everywhere except the bottom (you can actually unscrew the bottom and take out all of the middle rows if anything needed to be repaired). The middle rows are floating on dowels—these are not quite as tight as I would like but everything didn’t come out quite as square as I would have liked.
Finished with just natural Danish Oil.
Overall this took about 3 weekends of work, which I of course severely underestimated before hand… ;)