|Project by Andy||posted 67 days ago||1823 views||29 times favorited||40 comments|
I have been busy making robots. The designs I really like are those by robot sculpter Mike Rivamonte, his influence is seen in these.
After viewing many pictures I blended several styles into something I could actually build in a reasonable time using standard woodworking tools. These are the first six.
Several of them have pins in the top of the head, black and one red. Thats what I came up with for the antenna. The featured shorty bot has a flashlight bulb I found in my junk drawer and everyone seems to prefer that. The bulbs cost about $1.50 each, thats another reason I used pins on the others. I am thinking of making one of these bots with the back removable and a battery inside to power the light, or even LEDs for the eyes….lots of ideas still kicking around. Maybe little jet packs or back packs? There are lots of options.
I tried little faces; painted eyes and a smile and even googly eyes, but for now I like this effect.
The smaller bots are about 2 1/2’’ tall. They remind me of Wall-E for some reason, so I will be adding a set of tracks to the next set.
The taller one is simply a smaller one with an additional block added onto the body. It is 4’’ high and has a pivoting head which was drilled at an angle, I don’t know the angle, it just looked right :-)
This gives it more life, at least to me.
The arms pivot full circle.
I tried several paints and settled on some auto paint I had in the cabinet. I first painted them flat black as a base coat then used some antique brass, silver, pewter and a bronze. To knock off the brand new look I brushed on some latex flat black craft paint and wiped off most of it, leaving it in the joints and as a glaze over the surface. Rub'nBuff works great for adding an aged patina, and it comes in many colors.
If you decide to make some here are a few details that might help:
I did all of my cuts on the bandsaw.
I used 1 1/2” alder for the body and cut cubes 1 1/4’’ x 1 1/4’‘
(The tall robot head is 7/8’’ square)
I will use maple or beech next time to prevent splitting.
I didn’t glue in the legs or arms, they fit very snug and this allowed me to paint before assembly.
I drilled two 1/4’’ holes in the body for the legs about 1/2’’ deep, in about 1/4’’ from the edge and centered front to back. The legs are 1/4’’ dowel. I waited until I made the feet to determine the leg length. I wanted this squat look, so these legs are about 1 1/4’’ long.
The eyes sockets are 1/4’’ x about 1/4’’ deep, painted flat black or whatever you like…glowing red might be cool too.haha
You will need some 1/2’’ thick maple for the feet and arms.
All the feet were drawn onto one board after making a test foot, which is a taper front to back. The front of the foot is about 7/8’’ wide x 1 1/2’’ long x 1/2’’ thick. Drill your 1/4’’ hole about 1’’ centered from the front of the foot and centered side to side. I drilled all the holes about 3/8’’ deep and before cutting them out. After cutting to shape you can sand them to a profile you like.
The arm holes are about 3/16’’ and down about a 1/4’’ from the top, centered front to back. I used axles that you can get at a craft store like Michaels or probably online. They are metric and you will need to play around with a test piece to get the axle to fit snug in either the body or the arm so it will pivot but stay where you want. This was the only real difficult part. You need to be careful tapping the axle through the arm, I cracked two of them. I filled the cracks with CA and sand smooth, paint made it look good.
I drew up an arm with a bend at the elbow, just do what looks good to you, even straight will work. I cut the arm thickness down to the hand which is full thickness of the blank and then cut a kerf to form a palm.
Its just up to each persons individual taste.
Thanks for looking,
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com