|Project by Sawdustmaker115||posted 05-14-2014 05:31 PM||2471 views||14 times favorited||19 comments|
I’ve been wanting to get into hand tool work for awhile now, and I’ve realized it’s sometimes very tricky to hold the pieces in place while working on them. So I set out to get a work bench, at first i thought i would just buy one, but woodcraft had some deals on their vises and cherry wood. So i ended up buying a tail vise, front vise, and a load of 2×2x13 cherry. A few days later and there’s 2 large boxes at my front door it’s from woodcraft yippee! time to start working. So i brought everything down to the shop and saw that not all the cherry was square, So the first thing i had to do was get two of the faces square, i had to do this by hand because i don’t have a jointer. After about 3 days i had all the cherry square to two faces, next i had to fix the other faces so instead of doing the whole thing with a hand plane and man power i thought i could just run them through the tablesaw to get everything else happy, this method worked great!! Now i had to glue everything up, i used titbond 2 and a lot of clamps, i did the glue up in parts like 3 rows each part so i had i think like 5 parts. once all that was dry i started to glue the parts together. Now that everything is glued i had to flatten the top, took about 3-4 hours. Now that i got the top done i set it aside and started to work on the legs, they are made with Doug fir 4×4, i did mortise and tenon but not like you think, i decided it would be a hell of a lot easier to do a round tenon and round mortise. I did this by mounting the leg on the lathe and made a 2-1/4’’ round tenon, to make the mortise i grabbed a forstner bit and bored the wood out, and presto!! a perfect easy to make mortise and tenon joint. It only took me a few hours to make the legs. After i glued the legs on i cut the top and installed the tail vise. A few days later i ran out tho the lumber yard and grabbed some really hard maple(this stuff was harder then all the other hard maple I’ve ever worked with) of course i bought it rough so i had to make it 4S by hand, It was a bitch to work with because it’s not all straight grain so i had tare out to deal with. Anyway this became the apron, i mitered the ends and then added cherry splines to spruce things up a bit. Sanded everything with 120 then went up to 320, applied 2 coast of shellac, sanded with 600, added a super thin coat of a mix of poly and linseed oil and mineral spirits. then i drilled a bunch of 3/4’’ dog holes.
All in all this bench came out really good and it’s one of my favorite builds by far. Looks great and the finish feels even better, this bench is nice and functional, even being that this thing is tiny only about 52’’ long and 26’’ wide. took me about 3 weeks to build this great little bench.
Thanks for looking, and reading :)
all comments are welcome good, bad, ugly, anything!