|Project by svenbecca||posted 05-08-2014 10:46 PM||1120 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
I got my hands on a few old doors, some were antique, some were not. Based on the holes for the knobs, this one appears to be from the 40s or 50s. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do, so I took the top panel out and put some shelves in the hole. The rest was just trial and lots of error. I spent way too much time on this project.
I still need to complete the finish. It is mostly made from old barn rafters that I had sitting outside. I found that I can’t do that anymore. Carpenter bees all but destroyed the lumber. I used what I could and junked the rest. It was a shame. The horizontal surfaces are from hardwood pallets and the trim was left over baseboards and crown molding that I acquired. The side panels are from a scrap piece of siding from my old shop. The cedar backing is left over from a closet remodel I did in Mississippi. All in all, I am out about $30.00 in materials. I won’t even price the labor, It would be ridiculous.
-- A carpenter takes an ugly, knotted, twisted piece of wood and makes something beautiful and pure from it. Jesus is a carpenter, I am a piece of wood.