|Project by 1911kevin||posted 05-08-2014 06:07 PM||1135 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
I wanted to enclose part of my basement/garage to relocate kitty litter boxes and allow us to park without the cats getting out or being run over. I designed these doors in sketchup, built them out of 2×4 studs that were ripped and dimensioned, some 1/4” plywood, FRP panelling instead of rice paper, some dowels, glue and a small amount of walnut and cedar. The lattice is double sided to sandwich the FRP and for appearance (wife’s request). I free hand carved the pulls with a spokeshave by just making one and then transferring the pattern to the next piece and so on. I made latches out of cedar that just clip down on dowels. All mortise and tenon, shiplap, dado and rabbit joints. Glue ups were extremely intense because I had to get the frame, plywood panel and one side of the lattice in place but loose enough to slide the FRP panel into it’s grooves in the frame and then squeeze the other side of the lattice on and clamp it up before the glue hardened. I used pocket door hardware to slide one door on each side and the other door is held in with blocks so I can easily remove all the doors to move large items in. Framed and paneled around them and for the right side I made brackets and tied in the door frame to the support post using old fire hose, really surprised at how solid that seems to be. My goal was for this to be lightweight but sturdy enough to prevent cat escape, I have no idea how it will hold up or endure the attention of two adventurous chubby cats.
I learned so much during this build and made so many mistakes but I just kept plugging along and things got easier as I went and stayed patient (most of the time). I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration and enjoyment from Lumberjocks and everyones generous sharing of their work so here’s some of mine, thanks everyone!