|Project by CarlTuesday||posted 05-07-2014 01:08 AM||1871 views||3 times favorited||9 comments|
The story will need an update, but here is my first ever “real” project. Before this I’d made some plywood cabinet-type construction, some miscellaneous pine panel items, my workbench, and precisely one spatula…
The top is where most of the effort & $$$’s went. Its primarily a 4/4 hickory top, edge jointed and glued up for the main table top panel. The outer rails are from 8/4 mahogany, but due to a “slight” error I ended up needing to make the top a bit wider – thats why I ended up with those narrow 4/4 walnut strips in between the mahogany and hickory.
The mahogany ends are “breadboard”, and drawbored/doweled on. These were an education in using a plowplane, lots of hand mortising, and patience.
The base is mostly pine, with the idea being I can replace it later as time & money might allow. The joinery of each end frame is basically “half lap” to save time from full M&T. The long table rails between each end frame are simply pocket screwed because the joinery is hidden & it will allow disassembly if we ever need to move.
The bottom stretcher is the only “showy” part down there – half lap dovetail, and set in with hide glue so it too could be removed if needed to break the table down to a top, two frames, and three long stretchers/rails.
Most work was done by hand, with exception of long rips and a power jointer was acquired about halfway through the tabletop milling process.
Finish on the top is a mix of Watco danish oil (not much) and many coats of Arm-R-Seal Satin, with a final thin gloss coat.
The base is solely arm-r-seal.