|Project by Greg3G||posted 2035 days ago||1422 views||4 times favorited||15 comments|
Again, after being away for a while, finaly got back into the shop.
This box I tried something differnt. I had recently tried to design and build a dinning chair (don’t ask…not a pretty picture.) and had some scap left over. It was poplar but I just could bring myself to toss it out. I got to looking at a couple of the cut outs from the back slat and thought they had a nice curve to them. So after a litle head scatching on how to approach this. I made the front and back out of them. I then used an alcohol based dye for coloring, trying to approach a walnut look. finish is oil on the maple, dyed poplar and then amber shellac on everything.
The interior dividers and sides of the small tray are made from some ambrosa maple that I picked up from Karson. It was only 1/8” thick so it worked pretty well for this application
The lid’s lip is shaped using a panel cutting bit on the router.
-- Greg - Charles Town, WV