|Project by mrussell441||posted 05-05-2014 02:22 PM||1181 views||5 times favorited||3 comments|
I started off by cutting 24 inch long strips of walnut, cherry, oak, and maple into various widths. Then I glued all of the strips together and clamped them. After the glue was dried I took it out of the clamps and ran both sides through the planer until they were flat. Then I cross cut the board into strips and turned them on end and flipped every other one, and I glued them together. I let the glue set for 24 hours and then I ran it through the table saw again. This time angling the miter gauge just a couple of degrees. When I had all the strips cut and glued together the pattern came out kind of chaotic like I wanted it to. When the glue was dry I realized that it was really uneven and rough so I glued a piece of wood to each if the ends and ran it over the router table. I only took off a fine increment but it smoothed it out pretty good. I belt sanded it a little to get it flat, and then I routed the edges. Then I vibrate sanded it with 220 sand paper. I gave it a quick pass over with 1500 grit paper by hand. When it was all sanded smooth I applied many coats of mineral for the finish. After all the coats of oil I drilled pilot holes and screwed rubber feet on it.