|Project by woodn||posted 05-02-2014 11:59 AM||1885 views||10 times favorited||10 comments|
I was happy to find a bit left in my bottle of scotch after finishing the inlay! It took multiple steps cutting and setting the inlays in the right sequence to reach the desired result. I drew the design on the PC using Autosketch. Then used carbon paper to transfer the design to the maple. I used a fine pencil to clarify the lines, and then planned out the sequence of cutting and gluing the strips. I used the Micro Fence edge guide to cut each channel in two steps to get a good fit.
Of course, once the lid panel was done, I needed to build a box around it. Needless to say, more things went wrong building the box than normal, but being so invested in the lid, I had to keep finding ways of fixing and moving forward. Pretty satisfied with the final result though.