LumberJocks

Red Wood Burl Table with Blackened Cherry Base

  • Advertise with us
Project by Chaotic posted 05-01-2014 07:54 PM 1333 views 3 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch

56”x30”x21” Redwood burl top, blackened cherry log bottom.





16 comments so far

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

3336 posts in 1058 days


#1 posted 05-01-2014 08:01 PM

Simply amazing piece of work. Love the burl and really like how you charred the base. Like the inlays that you have in it too. Beautiful job on this.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

View Arlin Eastman's profile

Arlin Eastman

2036 posts in 1211 days


#2 posted 05-01-2014 08:29 PM

Very nice piece of wood and well done on making it even better.

Arlin

-- It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

View JaySybrandy's profile

JaySybrandy

78 posts in 226 days


#3 posted 05-01-2014 08:31 PM

Amazing

View Chaotic's profile

Chaotic

193 posts in 2123 days


#4 posted 05-01-2014 09:50 PM

Thanks folks. Hey Jay, stayin’ busy?

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

1249 posts in 1834 days


#5 posted 05-01-2014 10:46 PM

That is a beautiful table. How did you blacken the log for the base? Also, what finish did you use?

-- Allen, Colorado

View Chaotic's profile

Chaotic

193 posts in 2123 days


#6 posted 05-01-2014 11:09 PM

I used a little hand bottle torch. Cherry burns really easily as anyone who’s cut some on a table saw can attest.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

11415 posts in 1755 days


#7 posted 05-01-2014 11:49 PM

Neat table! it is so natural looking!!

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

10845 posts in 1340 days


#8 posted 05-02-2014 12:06 AM

That burl slab looks like you have a lot of hours in it! Did you fill all those cracks/splits, sand it flat, and then do epoxy pour?

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Chaotic's profile

Chaotic

193 posts in 2123 days


#9 posted 05-02-2014 01:43 AM

I do have quite a few. There were a lot of small surface checking cracks that I filled with CA, then the larger ones with CA and crushed malachite. The finish is 2 coats of 1lb cut shellac and several more of Waterlox original. No epoxy.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

1979 posts in 926 days


#10 posted 05-02-2014 01:45 AM

Wow….simply gorgeous !!...You did an amazing job ! Well done

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

10845 posts in 1340 days


#11 posted 05-02-2014 02:19 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Don’t know why I assumed that was a poured epoxy on the top.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

3937 posts in 1030 days


#12 posted 05-02-2014 04:59 AM

Great job, impressive.

-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|

View deon's profile

deon

2176 posts in 1675 days


#13 posted 05-02-2014 05:08 AM

Great work!

-- Dreaming patterns

View JaySybrandy's profile

JaySybrandy

78 posts in 226 days


#14 posted 05-02-2014 06:52 AM

yeah today I made a marble pump test and I need to tweak it a little ill make a post when its done xD

View AntarcticTraveler's profile

AntarcticTraveler

22 posts in 259 days


#15 posted 05-02-2014 09:05 AM

Stunningly beautiful. WOW!

-- antarctic_traveler@gwy.org

showing 1 through 15 of 16 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase