|Project by pmcustom||posted 92 days ago||1796 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
I would like to share one of my latest projects that I can finally say is finished. Believe it or not, I only have around $350 in this workbench. The majority of the construction took maybe 2 months (working a couple days per week on average) and mounting the Emmert took a full day and a half by itself. I used a good mix of hand and power tools throughout the project.
Thanks for looking!
I bought a truckload of soft maple off craigslist for $100, milled it all to about 1×4 and started the glue-up.
I had trouble getting the two glue-ups to join together. A long-bed jointer would have been nice…or maybe a longer setting glue or epoxy so I could do it all at once.
I should have been more careful during the glue-up because I had to plane off nearly a 1/4” in some spots to get the top flat. After I was finished, I had a large trash bag full of shavings and worn out arms.
A template and pattern bit makes the dog holes easy. I nailed a front and back to the template so I could slide it to each location and clamp it in place with no alignment issues.
I learned how to use pegged mortise and tenon joinery.
I also learned how to cut dovetails, although I should have practiced first before trying it on the real thing. It’s not perfect, but it’s not bad enough to motivate me to redo it! The hardware was originally for an old leg vise. I bought it off eBay for $50 shipped.
I decided to try something different than the traditional tail vise mounting design. So far it is working fine, although I admit I haven’t used it much yet. Of course it’s not as smooth as the bolt-on steel mechanisms, but it works fine for what I do and the price was right.
Last but certainly not least, my face vise is an Emmert Pattern Maker’s vise. I couldn’t bring myself to restore it and remove the patina, so I just cleaned it up and left it as is. I made a template with hardboard and used various router bits, a circular saw, chisels, gouges and a rasp during fitting.