|Project by jwade19990||posted 04-29-2014 02:46 AM||1247 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
Hey guys. Its been a busy time for me with a growing 10 month little girl in the house. I don’t know how some of you have the time to complete such awesome projects with kids. Still working on managing my time to get out in the shop. We moved last August and we did not own any bookcases because our previous house had a built in. My wife wanted a bookcase for the spare bedroom that we could transition into our daughters room when she gets a little bit older. This was my first project that I did not follow any plans and kind of just winged it. I was happy with how it came out for the most part. My miters on the crown molding definitely needed a lot of caulking to make them acceptable.
This was the first project that I sprayed the finish. My friend and I went in on a Fuji Mini Mite 4 together. I sprayed 1 coat of Zinser BIN shellac primer, followed by 4 coats of General Finishes Snow White Milk Paint, then 2 coats of General Finishes Polycrylic. I definitely learned a lot. I had trouble getting the paint inside the shelves to lay down smooth and not dry with a semi rough finish. I think I was being timid and spraying them on too thin in the beginning and the finish was “flashing” before it had a chance to level out smooth. At the end I was happy with the result, but will hopefully fine tune the process before tackling another project.