|Project by Barry Crowe||posted 04-24-2014 06:56 PM||1647 views||5 times favorited||12 comments|
These are my Sonus Faber tribute speakers I have been hammering away at for some years. I finally got to a significant milestone. The speakers are about 98% done. I am waiting for the crossover components (from Solen Canada – they will design your crossover too) and when they are assembled they will reside in the speaker stands. You will note there is a port at back of the cabinet. My experimenting so far indicates that the speakers sound better, ie. more bass, with the port closed. Of course I will cross that bridge once I can hear the speakers in the proper room and speaker placement with the new crossovers burnt in. For that matter, these speakers probably need to be burnt in too. Even though I have owned these drivers for some years, I’m sure they have not been run for more than 50 hours. As well, I appreciate that these are way off the mark as a true Sonus Faber clone. The woofer is the same exact one as in the production models, but the Scan Speak tweeters will not fit in the baffle area I set aside for them. So, now I need to find a suitable tweeter that has not only the same specs, but attributes as my coveted Scan Speak tweeters. Plus, the replacement tweeters require a magnet and face plate smaller than 3 inches to fit in the baffle. The volume of the cabinets is also smaller than a Sonus Faber Cremonia Auditor (SFCA). I suppose my motivation was to get as close to the sonic experience that the SFCA offer and maybe come close to the beauty of my inspiration. I will admit I have a ways to go yet before these speakers are near that or refined. There are some optional metal accents yet to go on the baffles, WBT binding posts yet to be installed, new hand assembled crossovers with top flight components, matching wood stands, a couple more coats of finish with pore filler and two piece speaker grills. There are metal inserts epoxied into the baffles to affix the drivers and the woods are oak cut offs for the cabinets, quilted maple for the baffles and myrtle burl for the end piece of the cabinet where the ports and speaker terminals are. For anybody with interest, I hope to have the remaining items done within a month and the pictures will be posted as well. However, for many not as obsessed as I, I’m sure they are complete enough…maybe.