|Project by Timzwoodz||posted 04-23-2014 06:40 PM||2393 views||26 times favorited||16 comments|
Good day LJs
Having caught CBF (cutting board fever), I gave one of our fellow LJs (spalm) projects a try.
This cutting board is 8” x 13.5”, with a 1/2” thick top surface made of 1” squares of laminated bloodwood, maple, oak and walnut, mounted on a 3/4” thick base of maple, with the top face and corners chamfered.
I did the glue-up in stages, first by assembling two columns at a time to ensure flatness of the project, then progressively glued the two-column strips together, adding one strip at a time. This prevented bending and bowing that I have encountered when trying to do a mass glue-up.
Even with those precautions, I still ended up with a slightly bowed product across the length of the top surface. My wife suggested putting it on a solid base of maple, which worked out well.
The bloodwood has a slight tendency to chipout when planed, but I found that applying a clear CA glue (superglue) over those areas, followed by sanding, makes those chipout disappear.
Pic #2 is a closeup of the laminated squares, Pic #3 shows the contrast between the squares and the maple base
-- Being half Irish and half Scottish, I love to drink but hate to pay for it