LumberJocks

Cribbage Boards

  • Advertise with us
Project by EWJSMITH posted 04-22-2014 10:52 PM 951 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Two cribbage boards I made for a work fundraiser for a co-worker who has a small child that has been diagnosed with Lukemia. Was trying to think of what to make and realized that there are a number of hard core cribbage players at work who are serious about the game. To go along with the boards, I made the custom pegs from stock 1/8” steel and brass rod (shaped on the drill press with files and sandpaper). Boards are birch with sides of mahogany – first board has a cherry curved inlay and cherry and mahogany plugs for accent. The second board has a middle strip of purpleheart. Finish is clear shellac. After the job was completed, I treated myself to a glass of 15 y/o Scotch!

Thanks for looking.





5 comments so far

View Zenert's profile

Zenert

19 posts in 1509 days


#1 posted 04-22-2014 11:00 PM

Nice!

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

16955 posts in 2654 days


#2 posted 04-23-2014 10:07 AM

Nice work.

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View Wiscobuilder's profile

Wiscobuilder

56 posts in 1437 days


#3 posted 04-24-2014 02:09 PM

Great looking boards, how did you space the holes? I have been wanted to make a couple of these but have not pulled the trigger on an expensive template yet.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

23188 posts in 2332 days


#4 posted 04-24-2014 03:10 PM

Beautiful game boards and nicely done.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View EWJSMITH's profile

EWJSMITH

153 posts in 3292 days


#5 posted 04-24-2014 09:23 PM

Thanks folks. For a template, I just printed one from the Internet and used spay adhesive to put it on the board. After drilling, used a bit of mineral spirits and light sanding to get rid of any glue residue. However, I did notice that there were a couple of small chips between two or three of the holes when the drill bit was raised and from where the holes are so close. So I’m going to make a template from 1/8” MDF or hardboard using the same technique and then used that hardboard template for future boards. That should help prevent the chips when the bit is raised… hopefully…
Cheers

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com