LumberJocks

Bohemiath Toy Box

  • Advertise with us
Project by MrNorwood posted 04-22-2014 11:47 AM 1030 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

This had to have been the biggest toy box in the continental U.S.A. 4’ wide, 2’ long, 2’ deep and 1 huge pain in my posterior, but not because it was a hard build, more so because it was just tough to move around. I share a two car garage with my wife’s vehicle and have to move it out so i can work using the whole space but at the end of the night when it’s time to pack up…. boy it gets rough. However, I did prevail.
Build using 1/2’ MDF for the carcass and 1×3 Poplar for the legs and trim pieces. Zinnser OB Primer, one coat. Bubble Gum Red Olympic latex, and Olympic Black 2-1. But I don’t ever plan on using that particular red ever again, not because it was difficult to work with, rather because it was very soft and instead of “scuffing” when bumped it literally teared long strips like paper, very annoying and I had to repaint and touch up way too often. The letters were cut using a scroll saw from 1/4’ MDF. I used InkScape for the templates and printed out the letters one per page, spray glued to piece of MDF and got to work, sanded everything flush with belt sander and/or detail sander.
And on to the hinges…. i start to sweat just thinking about the fits they caused. I did like an hour worth of research to come up with the option I used. Rockler makes a “prettier” version the the hardware would’ve cost more than all the supplies combined, no bueno! so I decided on the lid supports shown. I knew I’d need more than just one because of the monstrosity of a lid, so I opted for 2 supports, STILL not enough, sheesh!! So anothe quick trip to the hardware store and 1 more lid support. Then when I got them installed they did anything but function correctly insert 2×4 kicking and sandpaper throwing here so I angrily trolled LJ and Google and found that they ONLY work with 1x stock on the back wall, so because mine was 1 1/4’ they did not work. Que up great idea…. so I added the 1/2’ “blocks” to the screw point of the hinge and crisis averted!!! they work pretty good considering the weight of the top. at about 20 degrees open it’ll drop closed but not hard enough to turn your finger tips red so I consider that a win.
Overall, very fun project to see this kraken of a toy box take shape, and get out of my shop!!!

Thanks for looking

-- Remember, Jesus was a carpenter.





1 comment so far

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

16951 posts in 2648 days


#1 posted 04-22-2014 05:30 PM

Great work, Some nice colors….

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com