|Project by Peter Alkema||posted 04-19-2014 07:43 PM||1019 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
These bunk beds will be a classic feature of your children’s bedroom and save a lot of floor space. They are perfect for boys to play castles, girls to play house or just useful to keep as a spare bed for sleepovers. Siblings love to share bunk beds, especially once they have sorted out who goes on top, although Mum and Dad may need to mediate. Bunk beds are useful wherever space is restricted in a sleeping area – dorms, hostels, submarines, ships – and a house with five children is no exception! For our first set of twins we used the two beds separately without assembling as bunk beds (see page 82) and now they have moved on to full-size beds. When the younger twins are older we will assemble the bunk beds in their room, which will save space and create a safe sleeping experience for them.
Design & Construction
The most important design feature of bunk beds is safety and ensuring that the children who use them do so within strict guidelines. You can find clear regulations for making and using bunk beds on relevant consumer and home safety websites, and I would recommend consulting this information before attempting this project. Such requirements include size and positioning of guardrails, flush and smooth fastenings, sturdy and secure joints and maximum gap size between parts. The overall construction of these bunk beds consists of two child’s beds, two bunk ends and one ladder. All of which are assembled with nuts and bolts to allow for quick dismantling and storage. The fully assembled bunk beds are sturdy and strong without looking bulky and over-engineered. Children can easily clamber up and down the ladder or jump into the bottom bunk as needed.
What I Would Do Differently Next Time
The design does not allow for any clearance between the inside surfaces of the bunk corner posts and the outside edges of the legs of the individual beds (see steps 7–9). After I had primed the bunk end assemblies, I tested the final assembly and, because the primer and paint had added 2–3mm on each of the joining surfaces, the assembly was not possible and would have broken if I tried to force it. I then had to remove the primer as well as 1.5mm from the inside surface of all four corner bunk posts. I used an electric planer and electric sander to do this, but next time I would plane down these surfaces before building the bunk end assemblies.
-- Just published my first book - Woodworking for Everyone - www.woodworkingforeveryone.net