|Project by BRAVOGOLFTANGO||posted 04-18-2014 07:31 AM||99154 views||20 times favorited||9 comments|
Continued from my initial project:
- Completed my 1/2” plywood storage bin from scraps this evening, with the exception of adding piano hinged 3/16” plexi covers over the top two shelves for my vintage hand planes (keep them dust free). That’s actually the coolest part of the project in that it hit me when I designed this on sketchup, found a secure place for my planes.
- Recycled the use of the plastic bins from my broken lowe’s bins.
- Ran 1/4” dados on the back & sides, figured, with Titebond-2 & 1” Kreg screws, this thing is stout for 1/2” PW.
- Figured out ahead of time that running my Kreg mini drill bit to the 1/2” setting & the mini-kreg block to 5/8” with 1” Kreg screws and the 1/4” dado with 1/2” plywood that it wouldn’t blow out the back, which it didn’t. Took some trials on scraps, but learned just how strong the combo would be.
- Closing thoughts was that this 2nd grade lowe’s 1/2” ply was that I knew it wasn’t the optimum material for a carcass vs say 3/4” ply. Thing is I had these scraps, they were a bit warped from the store, just cheap ply, but couldn’t bear to toss it. Running the 1/4×15/32” dados on the Ridgid 4512 was tough with warped ply, but managed. I also learned that running dados on 18” wide material on a tablesaw is a bit tough to handle, think it would have been on the router table as well, it’s a full size custom I built. Overall this was a feel-good project that over the last two weeks from building 12 ft long x 3 ft deep x 6 ft tall custom beastly wood shelving in the garage, to too organizing with new wood fixture hangers, etc, that I have a renewed joy for working in my shop.