Here I’ll layout the undertaking of turning our old stable shed into a 20ftx20ft open shop. I ain’t got no camera so for now it’ll be pictureless, my wife may be so kind as to provide pictures with that smart phone of hers.
We purchased a 1/3 acre property in a small town in Minnesota, it came with a house from 1900 and shed which we found was an old stable from before the house stood. It was and is still currently sided with stamped galvanized panels which I hope to replace with something more attractive… priorities first. Beneath the panels though is roughcut white oak?? we think. Inside the shed still stood the old stable. This was the first to go, we kept the wood 2×4 and 1x sides which we think is box elder, it is very pretty when planed and quite hard. Of course the shed was filled with all sorts of miscellany which was left by generations of previous owners, some we kept most we did not. We also opened a 8ft wide rear door which had been boarded up, this was made into a sliding door. There already existed a front sliding door which goes out to the driveway.
I’ve never seen a floor like the one we had in the shed, and not in a good way. In the “car” stall the previous owner had seemingly been pouring used kitty litter for some decades. Beneath that was a good layer of gravel and then railroad ties, some which were actually good enough to use in landscape projects. On the horse stall side it was somewhat similar sans kitty litter but over the railroad ties were layers of thin metal paneling and old linoleum. There was nothing good about this floor, it all had to go, so it all went.
Four posts went up to support two beams which supported the bowed in roof. The beams were clearly undersized to support this roof and their orientation allowed them to bend on their weak axis. The posts were a huge problem because they were central to the whole shed. It would be impossible to walk in to the shed and maneuver a 10ft board. My buddy brought in a high lift jack and a post and we lifted each beam and shimmed until the roof looked reasonable from the outside (still a little bow). 2×10s were used to span between each side of the roof and another buddy helped place a (much beefier) reclaimed beam centered beneath the 2×10s. Finally the old beams and posts were removed to be used in another to-be-decided project.
So now I’m left with a wide open shed with a loose very uneven gravel floor. The gravel was excavated by shovel and wheelbarrow and used to build up a flat region out the rear door. Fresh gravel was brought in and leveled and packed in anticipation of pouring concrete.
We were in desperate need of storage for wood that I’d been accumulating and other normal shed related storables. We laminated 1×10x14ft stock into two beams to span the width of the shed. 2×4 joists between the beams and front/back wall topped with plywood created an overhead storage accessible with a ladder. Another reclaimed beam will be brought in to support lam beams.
I was putting off pouring concrete during this busy summer of 2016 and was rewarded by my procrastination with a huge amount of 2×10” 12” and 14” lumber. I decided my wood shop would now have a nice wood floor instead of concrete (the car stall will still have concrete when I get to it…). 12 short posts were put in the ground supporting 3 girders running the length of the shed. Two columns of joists support plywood with a vapor barrier between. As of ~8/2016 I am getting set up to shiplap the 2x flooring and lay that sucker down.