On we go with this (fun to me) build. Had planned on getting the sound board glued on yesterday. I had a lot of company instead. One of my visitors was a friend who is a very accomplished Luither. He has been guiding me with tips and advice during these two builds. I should also give credit to the guy at the music store and to my wife’s music teacher as they are also full of tips and information also.
Today starts with preparing the fret/finger board and sound boards in the sound board assembly. This takes a fairly long time. A mistake I made on the first build was to cut the fret slots too narrow.
I cut them with an .018 saw and it should have been .024. This made the frets very hard to drive in and did force the wood to bow up as the sides of the fret wire was pushing it too hard. This bow in the assembly would not allow for string note intonation and caused some string buzzing against the frets. My friend saw this right away and didn’t mention he had told me this could happen but did say that I could help by filing down the frets some. I spent yesterday afternoon filing frets down to level. I hope you don’t get into that job. It did help the tune some. He reinforced what I read on line about sanding a long downward slope from the #1 fret to the last #18. The slope should begin and end at about .005 and be about .015. in the middle.
The saddle and the nut are stuck in place just for the pics. Notice the strum hollow is cut
The board was pre- finished before doing the fret work. 1 1/2 hours later the frets were all in place with the ends filed and rounded over.
A thin string of glue was applied to the tops of the walnut side pieces and aliberal amount to the top of the neck and tail piece.
It is now hurry and put the sound board assembly into place and apply lots of clamps.
Sorry this was so long. Maybe if you can bear with me you will still enjoy this build with me. As always thanks. Comments and PM’s welcom
-- I,ve had amnesia for as long as I can remember. Vernon