LumberJocks

Cabinet Making

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Tim Dorcas updated 06-28-2010 06:53 AM 4 parts 8216 reads 15 comments total

Part 1: Looking At Actual Cabinet Construction

06-28-2010 05:30 AM by Tim Dorcas | 1 comment »

Last year I bought a half kitchen with the idea that I would add the cabinets to my workshop and give it an upgraded feel. (Right now everything is gray melamine which I got from an office that was being torn down.) When my wife saw that I was going to use the cabinets in my shop she immediately said they are too nice to get beat up in the shop. Too nice is a relative term. Let’s take a look. Here is an example of one of the cabinets. Here it is from different angle. Th...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Making the Cases

06-28-2010 06:06 AM by Tim Dorcas | 3 comments »

I started with taking measurements of the initial cabinet and combining that with measurements taken from the miter saw itself. With these numbers in hand I created a basic plan in Google Sketchup. Usually I put together a rough drawing and some basic numbers and then I’m off to the races. This usually means I am constantly “planning” throughout the whole build. Learning to use Sketchup is helping me get away from this. I have also made drawings at full scale to see how thin...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Making Drawers

06-28-2010 06:43 AM by Tim Dorcas | 4 comments »

Up to now, things were relatively easy. Now the actual work was going to start. To make the drawers, I decided to use Poplar. However, I did something I would now change. I purchased 4/4 of the stuff with the idea that I would resaw in half on my bandsaw. In retrospect, I should have purchased 8/4 and cut it into thirds. After resawing, planing and sanding, the boards were much thinner than I had hoped. The next decision was how to construct the drawers themselves. I have an Akeda Dovetai...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Drawer Fronts and Test Fitting

06-28-2010 06:53 AM by Tim Dorcas | 7 comments »

Making the drawer fronts was similar to making the drawers themselves. The actual construction of the fronts was not overly hard but there was a lot of repetition in terms of milling the wood. The one thing I could have done to improve the overall construction was mill the wood close and then let it acclimate it a bit more. Here’s a picture of the drawer fronts on one cabinet Here’s the cabinets being integrated together.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase