LumberJocks

A Clean Shop #1: A New Shop Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Tim Dorcas posted 11-12-2007 11:25 PM 4091 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of A Clean Shop series Part 2: Getting Organized »

The last two months or so, the shop has been a mess. Partly this is due to not having a place to put all of my lumber but the bigger part is I have had no place to put the larger equipment. Recently in one of the woodworking magazines they built a shop cabinet that housed the same type equipment I was trying to organize. They built it with spruce and peg board. I had some left over melamine (melamine that just happened to match all of the other cabinets in the shop) so I went to work with a design. The biggest decision was how wide to make it. The widest piece that I planed on putting in the cabinet was my sander. It measured 30 inches. I did want it to be too tight so I added 2 inches. The depth is 24.5 inches and the height is 70 inches. With this out of the way, it was pretty easy to create a cut list.

Now how to put this all together? I just bought the Dadowiz at the Calgary Woodworking Show but decided to hold on using it. I could have used biscuits or pocket holes. Melamine does glue to itself so biscuits were out. Pocket holes would have worked but I thought dowels would be stronger. I have a few dowel jigs but the ones I considered for this project were the Dowelmax and the Veritas 32 Cabinet set. I must say that working with the Veritas 32 was a little frustrating in the last project but I thought I would give it another try. I did try to use the Dowelmax in this project but because the basic jig is an inch (I believe) and the melamine sheets were 5/8″ it was too frustrating to try and compensate.

Drilling Holes with the Veritas 32 System

Drilling Holes with the Veritas 32 Cabinet Making System

If you get this jig aligned correctly, it works great but in the last project it took forever to get everything aligned. And in the worse case scenario, it wound up horribly off. This time instead of just relying on the gauge head I also used some Trim Gauges. I purchased these at the Calgary Woodworking Show as well. While in my mind they were a bit overpriced, they were extremely helpful in making sure I had the correct alignment throughout the piece. I would get a good measurement with the Veritas Head Gauge and then follow this up with the Brumley Trim Gauge. This sped up the process immensely. I still want to build some specific jigs to go along with this tool but the Trim Gauges worked really well until I get this done.

(Note: I was off about 1/8″ for the whole project which for shop equipment I can live with.)

Veritas Head Gauge and Brumley Trim Gauge

Trim Gauges

Drilling all of the holes took a couple of hours which I then followed up with ironing on the edge banding for the case. I should mention I used Pocket Holes for the foot boards. With the case upright you can’t see them and they were easier to use then dowels would have been for the two bottom boards.

Viola!

The Completed Cabinet

Completed Cabinet

With the cabinet complete was I able to instantly improve the size of my shop. All of the large portable tools now have a place to live with easy access to the workbench when they are needed. There is really no artwork to making this but I did get better working with the Veritas 32 System which will serve me when I want to use it next.

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase