In my last post, the rack was assembled, finished and drying in my workshop.
After a busy workweek, I finally had the time to put up rack and start enjoy its space-liberating bounty.
This sucker is heavy. And the last thing I want is to wake up to the sound of breaking glass late one night. To prevent this, I used a stud finder to mark where I would screw through the shelf support rail directly into the studs. I chose 4” screws to affix the rack.
By screwing the support rail to the studs, I had some latitude to move the rack left or right along the length above the buffet to suit my lady’s preference. After she gave me the thumbs up, I drilled a hole on one end and put in a screw to hold it in place. Then I leveled the shelf top and drilled a hole for the opposite end. Once this was in place, it was a simple matter of drilling holes and inserting the two other screws.
Finally, after many weeks, lots of sweat and a drop or two of blood, the rack was ready to serve its intended purpose. It was time to fill my snifter with a snort of brandy.
Loaded and ready for libations
The fun part of the whole project, was clearing out some cabinet space formerly dedicated to glassware. Each slat holds three glasses comfortably and 28 out of our 30 glasses are easily accommodated. Our two bulbous pinot noir glasses have a greater depth where the stem meets the base. Fortunately, due to variations in the depth of the rabbets I cut for the slats, I found one row that accepts even these glasses.
Here’s what she looks like loaded up.
But the best part of the whole project was the smile it put on my lady’s face.
There were many potential pitfalls that could have wrecked this project. Though it took many more months to get done, I sidestepped many of these by taking the time to build and test prototypes while polishing my design. It didn’t hurt to run design details by my lady either.
-- "People's lives are their own rewards or punishments."