LumberJocks

Boy's Cherry and Walnut Dresser

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Patrick Jaromin updated 10-06-2008 06:39 PM 8 parts 20779 reads 41 comments total

Part 1: Designing A New Dresser for Our New Son

07-30-2008 02:34 PM by Patrick Jaromin | 9 comments »

A few months back, we learned that we were expecting our third child. My wife, the youngest of five kids, is adamant that this child have their very own crib and dresser. Who am I to argue? A couple weeks ago we learned it was a boy – so, I set off to design and build a “masculine” dresser. Inspiration My first step was to review some of my favorite projects on lumberjocks.com. I’ve added references to these projects at the end of this post. They’re all exc...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Legs shaped, sides assembled and Ouch!

08-17-2008 06:44 AM by Patrick Jaromin | 3 comments »

Construction begins… In between trips to the zoo, the Children’s Museum and backyard “play dates” with the kids, I’ve logged some decent shop time on this project the past couple weekends. Last weekend I dimensioned the lumber and assembled the two cherry and walnut frame-and-panel sides. Due to a misaligned rip fence, I wound up with a mortise and stub-tenon joint that simply wouldn’t close. I decided to lop off the tenons and attach the rails to the st...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Gluing up the Carcass

08-18-2008 02:34 PM by Patrick Jaromin | 5 comments »

The Day Begins I started the day by marking out and cutting the slots for the biscuits into the inside faces of the sides and back. Following this, I decided to “rehearse” the glue up of the main carcass—the sides, back and bottom front apron. After yesterday's "flip" I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive about this step, but, lessons learned, I was watchful of the sides and never came close to dropping one this time. The green tape you see is there to protect the l...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Face Frame Installed

08-25-2008 02:20 PM by Patrick Jaromin | 5 comments »

OK, so I “cheated.” I typically assemble face frames with pocket screws. It’s simple, fast and strong enough. Since this face frame is composed of 1” x 3/4” members, pocket screws seemed a bit weak to me—I’d only be able to use a single screw in each member, which would allow it to “spin” somewhat. While this would be minimized greatly after gluing to the carcass, some “twist” could still occur over time. Since the drawers w...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Drawers

09-06-2008 05:32 AM by Patrick Jaromin | 7 comments »

Labor Day weekend my wife took the kids up to the family cabin for a couple days. I spent most of this time in the shop working on the drawers. For this dresser I had designed the drawers with large through dovetails. Since I don’t own a decent dovetailing jig that allows for custom size and spacing, I was going to have to do these by hand. Since I haven’t done many projects with hand-cut visible dovetails, I figured I’d better take my time with these. To make things a bit f...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Dead Flat

09-08-2008 02:56 PM by Patrick Jaromin | 2 comments »

I love my "new" drum sander. I purchased the used machine for the purpose of sanding shop-cut veneers and inlay woods. However, with a 23-1/2” capacity, it is capable of so much more. I first cut my teeth with this thing on the side panels. Now it was time to glue up the top—and I was really looking forward to seeing what it could do with the 21” x 64” x 1” thick part. Joining the top I started by rough cutting and gluing up two 5/4 boards. Jointing an e...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Filling in the Blanks

09-25-2008 07:49 PM by Patrick Jaromin | 9 comments »

One of my favorite features of the top, is actually technically a defect—a quarter-sized knot hole. While both my wife and I agreed that it added “character” to the top, I couldn’t simply leave it as it was; it was large enough to swallow up small objects whole and naturally not very stable. After some searching, I found a few references to folks filling holes like this using “Pour on” epoxy, of the type you might use to encase small chatchkis in a bar t...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Dresser Finds a Home

10-06-2008 06:39 PM by Patrick Jaromin | 1 comment »

I completed the baby’s room over the weekend and “installed” the dresser last night. Since this is more a remodeling project, I’ve posted the project page over at HomeRefurbers.com. While I designed this piece to last a lifetime, and not to compliment the room design, I think it looks reasonably “at home” in it’s new digs! More details at my personal blog: http://tenonandspline.com/blog/archives/155

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase