I have the stripping done. So, I thought I’d share some pics.
The pics get better. I promise.
I had a difficult time making the transition from vertical to horizontal across the stem. It felt to me like the stem form was getting in the way.
When I referred back to Mr. Gilpatrick’s book He stated that this may happen and if so do some trimming.
There we go!
The transition was still a bit of a bear. Three hands and plenty of screws required.
The staples don’t take to kindly to walnut.
I wanted to mix it a hair. So, I added a few strips of walnut. While I had a decent amount of walnut planed up I went ahead and made the thwarts and yolk. I plan on doing the same with the seats and use black vinyl strapping for the webbing.
I ended up using 72 ounces of Gorilla wood glue for the strips, thwarts, and yolk.I started out with 45 board feet pre-milled. I had about 3.5 B.F. post milled left over, and probably 2-3 B.F. in scraps.
So, the stripping is complete and it’s time for the glassing. I’m sorry to say, that due to a complete kitchen remodel I have start this March, this project will be on hold till further notice. I have to keep my priorities straight. ;) I’ve never done any kind of fiber-glassing so, I don’t really want any kind of distractions. And, This is a good place to stop.
If you would like to see more pictures, click on this link. http://photobucket.com/canoebuild
Thanks again for reading.
(I would like to apologize now for the some of the pics. I’m not sure if I’m formatting them right because when I previewed this blog a lot of them were getting cut off.)
-- Well, I'll be screwed, glued, and tattooed!