It is now time to build the web frames that function as drawer dividers.
The web frames are notched around the legs, and I decided to cut the notches with a dado blade. Here is my setup at the tablesaw with sacrificial fences on both the tablesaw and miter gauge.
The result was nice crisp corners on the notches. This will be a visible joint at the front of the dresser. A bandsaw could also accomplish the task, but not quite as easily as a dado blade.
After cutting pieces to final length, web frames were assembled with biscuits. I really like biscuits for alignment and extra strength. I have found that the Dewalt brand biscuits fit the slot more precisely than other brands (like Porter Cable). I had to remove one biscuit with pliers during assembly. Once glue hits the biscuit, it really tightens things up.
Web frame glueup requires only two clamps. That’s a good thing considering I have 12 web frames to make.
I am careful to check each assembly with a straightedge.
Frames and more frames.
Test fitting a web frame.
The frames fit around the front leg like this…
The frames fit around the back legs like this…
Now it is time to assemble the frames in the carcase. I start with the bottom frame, because it is attached to the lower front arched rail with biscuits, and as such is a little trickier to install. An 8” wide plywood spacer helps me set the frame locations accurately.
The back of the frames are captured in dados.
The front of the frames are attached to the legs with pocket screws from the underside.
The dividers are set back from the legs by 3/16”. This is where carefully cutting the notches pays off.
Next up will be a solid wood top.
-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush