I spent some time card scraping and sanding the 1/2” thick panels for the dresser sides.
I sharpened a fresh burr on the card scraper so it was cutting quickly. I use it on trouble spots, like tearout from the planer.
I setup the tablesaw with a dado set and a sacrificial fence to cut the rabbets on the panels. They are rabbeted on the inside edge, which will produce a flat panel look on the outside of the dresser. I could have used plywood, but it can be tough to find quartersawn red oak plywood locally.
I stained the side panels before assembly. That way, any seasonal movement won’t expose an unstained area of the panel.
All four side panels are stained up.
I use Rodda #19 oil based stain. It is really amazing stuff. The color is a medium warm brown that is fitting for A&C style furniture. Better still – it hides sapwood very well, and really helps to blend several boards into one panel. I have tried nearly every stain out there – Old Masters, Varathane, Minwax – you name it, and by far I like Rodda the best. It’s really easy to work with. I thin it 4oz mineral spirits per 20 oz stain.
Next up should be sanding legs and side rails. Then I can glueup the side panel assemblies.
-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush