After pattern routing the long arched rails, it was time to turn my attention to the top. I started with 6/4 stock, all from the same log. Biscuits were placed every 6” to help with alignment and add strength. I once did an experiment with biscuits – joined two boards with biscuits (no glue) and soaked them in water for a while. I took it around to each family member to see if they could pull the boards apart—- and none could.
I took the top over to Creative Woodworking NW in Portland, OR to have it drum sanded. They have a combination planer / drum sander that will handle 50” widths. I had it sanded at 120 and 180 grits, and it came out perfectly flat and smooth.
The top finished out at about 1-1/4” thick, which pleases my eye. Much thicker, and it needs a massive base to visually support the top.
That drum sander sure made my job easier.
Next up will be the breadboard ends and mounting the top.
-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush