I struck a deal with my wife to get some shop time in today, I will be babysitting 3 kids tonight- but it was worth it.
I have a few shop projects I’ve been meaning to wrap up.
The first is making a spring pole style lathe that attaches to an end vise. Here I am sawing the puppets (poppets?)
planing the edges smooth…
Here I am drilling holes for dogs in the wooden vise- I don’t have a drill press but this little jig I bought a few years back does the trick for me.
I will grind some all thread to a point to hold the pieces in place. Here I am preparing to grind the all thread.
And flash back to my tool making project, here I am using a block of wood to set a 25 degree angle.
And here we are testing the angle. Once I grind all the blades and heat treat them I will use this to sharpen them.
I digress…clamping the puppet to drill for the dowel that will go through the vise.
This was my attempt to line up the holes for the all-thread.
After marking where the nuts would fall, a little chisel work to recess the nut into the wood, one on each side.
A little bit of glue for good measure…
The puppet on the vise is attached with 2 dowels. The puppet on the bench has a runner that slides into the groove where the router insert is located. Then there are 2 holes for 3/4” dowels that fit depending on the length of the piece to be turned.
I’m using a piece of bar stock as my steady rest. The plans I looked at show an angle iron, but I’m going to give this a try…The spring will be attached to the ceiling and the cord will wrap around the piece and go through the opening where the router plate usually is. Then I will have to pedal like crazy and have some sharp tools…If you would like to see how these work, just watch Roy Underhill, Peter Follansbee or go to Greenwoodworking.com and check out Jeanne Alexanders plans to build your own.
I also had enough time to make a sled to flatten some rough lumber I have. I got the idea from this project
When I put the level on to check it I thought something went really wrong…then I remembered I used 2 different sized pieces for the side supports. Putting the level inside made me feel better.
4 hours worth of work and some great progress.
I will post some pictures of how they work when I get some more time…lately it’s diaper duty ;-)
-- I never finish anyth