Way back in the day when I “finished” my bench, I found that the wood vises I made were extremely difficult to use, since they are made with wooden nuts and threads. Because of this I have made excuses not to use them and when I have used them I have paid the price…twisting…and twisting, a quarter turn at a time and getting very strong forearms in the meantime but not much woodworking done.
I finally read that someone used paste-wax on their vise (probably from Paul or Mads) and gave it a try. It worked great! So now I will use them much more often.
Time to take out the David Marks inspired project (combination of Egyptian bench and Curved stave table) and see if we can get it to work.
I think this one is destined for the scrap pile…sadly… it tapers, it meets at an angle, the dovetails are curved, I just bit off more than I can chew with this one. We will see, mabye I’ll throw it under the bench for another 2 years and see if I get any better…
-- If you can dream it, I can do it!