So we continue with the bench progress…Making all the parts from the butcherblock table has it’s set backs, but I can live with that.
Here we have the router plate cut out that has now been modified to accept my jig-saw. For those of you not following along (since this saga is years-long and in no logical order) this bench is full of purist woodworking NO-NO’s.
Here I am trying to drill a very large hole in end grain and tap it to accept equally large hand threaded dowels, that was a work out…
The next photo shows the threads for the vises being dyed black…I just didn’t like the way the poplar looked, and figured this would be a good “ebonizing” experiment.
These next photos show my trying to duplicate a jig I saw using a router to make dowels for my vise handles. That was a failure, and I ended up rounding them with a sanding attachment on my angle grinder.
I installed the vise threads and used a spokeshave to carve the ends round and sanded them smooth.
Here we have the base pieces that still need to have the 50 year old finish removed…
Holy cow! I thought that building stuff yourself would be cheap. NOT always the case. My thought was to buy brass plumbing fittings and use them as end caps for the vise handles. I would sand them to a nice shine. Well, each fitting was over 4 bucks, I needed 8….we were looking at around upwards of $50 for tiny hardware. I ended up settling for these PEX fittings, works for me.
The last photo is a good intro into the next segment: using the home made tablesaw to cut shoulders on the tenons that will be made to assemble the base…using the failure routing jig as a stop- yep.
-- If you can dream it, I can do it!