These are photos that show the progression I went through trying to get the vises installed on my workbench. To make a short story long, I had been planning this workbench build in my head for a few years. I got the wood for free (yeah!) and have been trying to build the workbench for virtually nothing. It is a hybrid bench that is blasphemous on many levels: too many dog holes to accommodate my steam bending fancies, a router plate cut into the top, moxon-type vises on the face and tail end, sissy hardware connecting HUGE mortises, etc…but I love it.
I took the idea of mounting the vise this way from Mike Dunbar’s bench in a past FWW article. After cutting the huge wooden nuts and installing them, they looked terrible, so I decided to dress them up a bit with some walnut facing. I would have gone with Paul’s wedge vise but had already purchased the tap and die.
For those of you thinking this is cool- run the other way! buy the router kit to make huge threads or get a metal vise, these baby’s are a work out!
By the way, I also lifted this bench top too many times. It’s heavy!
I could have sworn I was shooting for 24 inches…hm…
-- If you can dream it, I can do it!