Shaker Candlestands #1: Testing the techniques

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Phil posted 08-28-2016 01:21 AM 270 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Shaker Candlestands series Part 2: Making the prototype »

After finishing my bookcases, I’ve started working on a pair of Shaker Candlestands. I turned the spindles last time I was at my in-law’s house:

The tops will be from several panels I glued up years ago to use as shelves for a pair of end tables, then decided they were too nice to hide away. I’ll post pics of those later.

This is a different kind of project than I’ve attempted before, and I want to get it right the first time. So, I’m going to validate the techniques & setups by making a prototype out of cheaper wood before I start on my nice cherry. I’m using (roughly) the measurements and dimensions for the candlestand from Making Authentic Shaker Furniture: With Measured Drawings of Museum Classics by John Shea.

I started by making a template for the legs, smoothing it, and using it to lay out rough pine blanks for the legs. I cut them out with a jigsaw, and then used double-side tape to stick the pattern to each leg for routing.

Here are the pine legs after routing with the template:

Overall, not bad. However, notice the tearout on one of the legs:

I don’t know if this is just pine being pine, or if I didn’t cut close enough to the line with the jigsaw before I started routing. I’ll definitely try this on another blank before I turn to the cherry!

Next step is to figure out how to hold the spindles in place to route the dovetailed slots for the legs.

-- Phil

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics